Most Active Stories
- Equality in Alabama? Same-Sex Marriage Reactions
- Alabama Universities Receive Accreditation Warning
- Alabama's Reaction to U.S. Supreme Court's ruling on Same Sex Marriage, Child Care sickness suits
- Same-Sex Marriage couples having trouble getting marriage licenses, Veteran honored in Sylacauga
- Tama the Stationmaster Cat
Alabama Bicentennial Commission bill
Fri February 8, 2013
Senate Getting Ready for Alabama's Bicentennial
Some Alabama legislators are trying to start planning now for the state's bicentennial in 2019.
Republican Sen. Arthur Orr of Decatur got the Senate to pass a resolution Thursday setting up the Alabama Bicentennial Commission. The commission would plan and develop activities to celebrate Alabama becoming a state in 1819. Orr said the commission will have members representing state government, tourism and historic preservation. The members will only receive reimbursement for travel.
Orr's resolution still must be approved by the House. If it is, the commission will begin its work by Sept. 1.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.