Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Fri November 7, 2003
Scrushy Lawyers Seek Some Assets
By Alabama Public Radio
Birmingham, AL – An attorney representing HealthSouth founder Richard Scrushy says he will contest the government's seizure of at least 50 million dollars worth of Scrushy's assets. Donald Watkins says the items are unrelated to the criminal charges against Scrushy. Federal prosecutors accuse Scrushy of acquiring the assets through fraudulent practices that falsely boosted HealthSouth's earnings by two-point-seven billion dollars. The indictment prohibits Scrushy from spending assets worth about 278 million dollars. But Watkins says Scrushy's legal team will file documents requesting access to some items. The lawyers say they've identified at least 50 million dollars they can prove is unrelated to the fraud allegations. Scrushy is scheduled to stand trial on an 85 count indictment January fifth.