Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Wed April 21, 2004
School System Reconsiders Travel Policy
By Alabama Public Radio
Florence, AL – The Lauderdale County school system is reevaluating its travel policy for students who participate in school-sponsored athletic events held out of town. Last week, a baseball player died in a car wreck while returning from an away game. Saturday, a softball player died in a car wreck between games of the Brooks Invitational. Lauderdale County Superintendent Jerry Fulmer says both incidents have sparked discussion about the school system's travel policy. It allows athletes to drive personal vehicles or ride with other players if the player's legal guardian signs a waiver. Buses are provided for many athletic events, but athletes often choose to drive themselves or ride with friends.