Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Fri June 25, 2004
SC Company Reportedly Awarded Vet Homes Contract
By Alabama Public Radio
Montgomery, AL – The battle over a contract to manage Alabama's three nursing homes for veterans has reportedly ended. The Birmingham News says Governor Riley plans to announce Friday that he'll turn over the contracts to a South Carolina company. Riley signed the contract against Tuesday's recommendation of a committee that wanted him to override the state Board of Veterans Affairs' decision to switch management at the homes. The new managers will be Health Management Resources. Company officials say they were notified Thursday that Riley had signed the contract, which is worth more than 100 million dollars over five years.