Most Active Stories
- Medicaid Expansion in Alabama: The Battle of the Five Armies
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- Obama visits Birmingham, Medicaid expansion, tuberculosis testing at Homewood High School
- Obama to speak in Birmingham, Medicaid expansion opposition and Alabama bike summit
- Obama to visit Birmingham, Charter Schools bill passed, Aerofest
Wed August 7, 2013
Safety Citations Issued To Ala. Steel Manufacturer
Federal officials have issued safety citations to a steel manufacturing company and propose that it pay over $117,000 in fines.
U.S. Department of Labor officials said Wednesday that 15 safety violations were issued to the Northport-based Hanna Steel Corp.
Officials say the company was inspected in February and investigators found two repeat violations, nine serious safety violations and four other violations.
The repeat citations accuse the company of failing to ensure safety equipment on grinders was properly adjusted, and allege that the company didn't develop a plan to deal with potentially hazardous energy during equipment maintenance.
Among other things, officials say Hanna Steel also failed to require hand protection for employees working under hazardous conditions.
A message left with a Hanna Steel representative was not immediately returned.