Most Active Stories
- Medicaid Expansion in Alabama: The Battle of the Five Armies
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- Obama visits Birmingham, Medicaid expansion, tuberculosis testing at Homewood High School
- Obama to speak in Birmingham, Medicaid expansion opposition and Alabama bike summit
- Obama to visit Birmingham, Charter Schools bill passed, Aerofest
Business & Education
Tue February 18, 2014
Saban Wants Mercedes Dealership; Plans on Hold for Now
Nick Saban confirms he and a partner are working to open a Mercedes-Benz dealership in the Birmingham area. Al.com reports the Alabama football coach said a statement Monday he's "honored to join the Mercedes family" and "extremely excited" about the business venture planned for Irondale.
The statement was provided by Saban's attorney, Bobby Plott. Saban's partner, Joe Agresti, says land has been purchased for the Irondale dealership but construction is being held up by a civil lawsuit. Crown Automobiles of Hoover is suing Mercedes-Benz USA, saying news that a second dealership was opening in the Birmingham area derailed plans to sell the Hoover lot.
Saban confirmed his involvement after attorneys for Crown Automobiles filed a notice of intent to subpoena Saban to determine if he's doing business with Mercedes.