Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Wed August 18, 2004
Rumsfeld Promotes Base Plan in Alabama
By Alabama Public Radio
Huntsville, AL – U-S Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld promoted a military realignment plan while attending a conference in Huntsville Wednesday. The missile conference was sponsored by the Army's Space and Missile Defense Command, which is located at Redstone Arsenal. Rumsfeld defended President Bush's call to reshuffle America's military presence in Europe. The president says Communism is no longer a threat there and U-S forces could be better used elsewhere. Rumsfeld says the plan would make it easier to quickly deploy forces to the world's trouble spots. Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry has criticized the idea, saying it would weaken the military.