Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Fri August 6, 2004
RSA Wants to Manage Mobile Convention Center
By Alabama Public Radio
Mobile, AL – The Retirement Systems of Alabama has asked Mobile Mayor Mike Dow to let it manage the city's convention center. The pension fund is already spending 162 million-dollars to build a downtown office tower and renovate an adjacent hotel. RSA bought the 377-room Riverview Hotel last month for almost 12 million-dollars -- with a 17 million-dollar upgrade planned. An RSA affiliate is also building the city's cruise terminal on the Mobile River. RSA chief executive David Bronner says managing the center would help the agency better coordinate large city events. Bronner says RSA might also be interested in becoming a partner with the city to renovate the 40-year-old Civic Center. The mayor says he's open to the ideas.