Most Active Stories
- Siegelman Denied New Trial, Mental Health Budget Concerns
- Layoffs for Alabama Workers, Solar Sail Set to Launch
- Granade Issues Same-Sex Ruling, Busy Travel Weekend Expected
- Biden comments on civil rights and Selma, Bloody Sunday anniversary, Montgomery music premiere
- Historian Says Don't 'Sanitize' How Our Government Created Ghettos
Mon May 13, 2013
Road, Bridge Improvements To Aid All Counties
Alabama Gov. Robert Bentley has announced plans for bridge and road improvement projects across the state.
Bentley announced the improvement plans Monday and the governor's staff members say bridge safety is a top priority. Many of the 22 counties receiving money for improvement projects through the Rural Assistance Match Program have deteriorated bridges that must be replaced or rehabbed.
The rural assistance program is providing money for some of this year's projects so rural counties that may not have been able to fund the improvements would be included this year.
Bentley says roads have to be strengthened to support tractor trailers being used for commercial purposes.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.