Most Active Stories
- Montgomery may ban smoking, Sirius-XM settlement
- Governor Bentley Challenges Legislators to Lead on Budget Crisis
- Alabama GOP Chief: "No Third term," Airbus is hiring
- High School Graduation rate improves, Montgomery "no smoking" ban
- Tough State Budget Choices, and an Eating detector for the holidays?
Mon May 13, 2013
Road, Bridge Improvements To Aid All Counties
Alabama Gov. Robert Bentley has announced plans for bridge and road improvement projects across the state.
Bentley announced the improvement plans Monday and the governor's staff members say bridge safety is a top priority. Many of the 22 counties receiving money for improvement projects through the Rural Assistance Match Program have deteriorated bridges that must be replaced or rehabbed.
The rural assistance program is providing money for some of this year's projects so rural counties that may not have been able to fund the improvements would be included this year.
Bentley says roads have to be strengthened to support tractor trailers being used for commercial purposes.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.