Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Thu April 8, 2004
Riley will Replace Space Commission
By Alabama Public Radio
Montgomery, AL – Governor Riley says he plans to appoint a new commission to oversee the U-S Space and Rocket Center in Huntsville. Riley says members of the Alabama Space Science Exhibit Commission weren't properly appointed in 1999 by former Governor Don Siegelman. The state Department of Examiners of Public Accounts noted in a 2002 commission audit that Siegelman did not assign his appointees to staggered eight-year terms. Governor Riley asked the board members to resign in February, but they would not, saying they were properly appointed and they had worked to get the space museum on sound financial ground. Riley says the commission has performed a good job and he will reappoint some of the current members.