Most Active Stories
- Equality in Alabama? Same-Sex Marriage Reactions
- Alabama Universities Receive Accreditation Warning
- Same-Sex Marriage couples having trouble getting marriage licenses, Veteran honored in Sylacauga
- Alabama's Reaction to U.S. Supreme Court's ruling on Same Sex Marriage, Child Care sickness suits
- Tama the Stationmaster Cat
Thu August 28, 2014
Rideshare Company Comes To Ala. College Towns
The car-hailing service Uber is hoping students around the country, including those at some of the South's largest universities, will make the mobile app part of college life this fall.
The company announced Thursday that it will bring service to 22 college towns, including Tuscaloosa and Auburn - home to the University of Alabama and Auburn University.
The app lets users see a map of nearby drivers using personal vehicles or upgraded black cars and SUVs, get an estimated time of arrival and cost and order a ride. It's all designed to compete with traditional taxis.
Regulators in several states and cities worry about driver records and safety. The company says it performs background checks and provides commercial insurance during rides.