Most Active Stories
- Siegelman Denied New Trial, Mental Health Budget Concerns
- Layoffs for Alabama Workers, Solar Sail Set to Launch
- Granade Issues Same-Sex Ruling, Busy Travel Weekend Expected
- Biden comments on civil rights and Selma, Bloody Sunday anniversary, Montgomery music premiere
- Historian Says Don't 'Sanitize' How Our Government Created Ghettos
House Republican Agenda
Thu January 17, 2013
Republican Alabama House Members Propose Agenda
Alabama House Republicans have announced an agenda for the upcoming legislative session of items that could put the state at odds with the Obama administration.
The agenda includes a measure aimed at slowing down Obama administration efforts to stiffen gun control regulations through federal laws or executive orders.
House Speaker Mike Hubbard proposed an amendment that would put the right to gun ownership in the Alabama Constitution. He says the amendment would give Alabama the "strongest gun protection" law in the country.
Another proposal would allow Alabama employers to opt out of parts of the federal health care plan that was pushed by President Obama.
The GOP agenda would also add restrictions to women seeking abortions. One bill would expand safety and health standards for those who perform abortions.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.
House Committee Heads