Most Active Stories
- Saudi Airstrikes Raise Doubts Abroad, Spark Patriotic Fervor At Home
- "Spice" patients increasing, Test confirms marijuana brownies, Battle of Selma re-enactment
- Why Don't Ants Need A Leader?
- Lear denies allegations, The Great Invisible and new Little Lagoon Bridge
- Bentley on state budget, Alabama Nature Conservancy and new round of BP recovery funding
Fri July 25, 2014
Report Says Alabama Crime Down 4 Percent
A new report says the crime rate in Alabama went down 4 percent in 2013.
The annual report from the Alabama Criminal Justice Information Center says 173,916 crimes were reported by law enforcement agencies in Alabama in 2013. That was down from 181,752 crimes in 2012. It was the second consecutive year for a decrease.
The center reports that property crimes were down 5 percent, burglaries down 11 percent and robberies down 6 percent. Homicides were up 5 percent and crimes involving motor vehicles went up 9 percent.
The report notes that 24 percent of the crimes were cleared by an arrest or other means. That was the highest rate in the last five years.
Politics & Government