Most Active Stories
- Auto workers petition to block UAW, 2015 red snapper season and Cycling League state championship
- Restraining order against Lear Corp, First Lady at Tuskegee and Tallapoosa County tax vote
- Gambling bill hearing, potential mental health cuts and Alzheimer's research
- Red Snapper Season, Alabama High School Cycling League
- Where Poor Kids Grow Up Makes A Huge Difference
Fri July 25, 2014
Report Says Alabama Crime Down 4 Percent
A new report says the crime rate in Alabama went down 4 percent in 2013.
The annual report from the Alabama Criminal Justice Information Center says 173,916 crimes were reported by law enforcement agencies in Alabama in 2013. That was down from 181,752 crimes in 2012. It was the second consecutive year for a decrease.
The center reports that property crimes were down 5 percent, burglaries down 11 percent and robberies down 6 percent. Homicides were up 5 percent and crimes involving motor vehicles went up 9 percent.
The report notes that 24 percent of the crimes were cleared by an arrest or other means. That was the highest rate in the last five years.
Politics & Government