Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Tue April 2, 2013
Rally Against Abortion Clinic Bill Draws 200
A rally to defeat a bill that would impose restrictive rules for Alabama's abortion clinics drew advocates to the Statehouse steps on Tuesday.
Organizers from Planned Parenthood and several Democratic legislators spoke to a crowd of about 200 people urging defeat of HB57. Several speakers asserted that by imposing more restrictions on women's health clinics, the legislature is attempting to limit access to constitutionally guaranteed abortion care.
A handful of the bill's supporters waved signs and protested. They were hoping for passage of the proposed legislation proponents say will improve conditions in clinics where abortions are performed.
Clinic owners say if the bill is passed, they may have to close because major building renovations would be necessary.
The state Senate planned to take up the bill on Tuesday.