Most Active Stories
- Auto workers petition to block UAW, 2015 red snapper season and Cycling League state championship
- Restraining order against Lear Corp, First Lady at Tuskegee and Tallapoosa County tax vote
- Red Snapper Season, Alabama High School Cycling League
- Where Poor Kids Grow Up Makes A Huge Difference
- Texas Governor Deploys State Guard To Stave Off Obama Takeover
Mon March 8, 2004
Race Conference Begins Thursday at UA
By Alabama Public Radio
Tuskegee, AL – The University of Alabama is hosting its 3rd annual Race and Place conference this Thursday, Friday and Saturday with a lecture series called The Struggle for Civil Rights in America .
The event includes group and panel discussions on civil rights, including the modern movement beginning in the 1950s, the women's movement, and issues related to Hispanics and Native Americans. Keynote speakers are Dr. John Dittmer from DePaul Univesity, and Dr Barbara Ransby of the University of Illinios in Chicago.
The "Race and Place" conference begins Thursday the 11 am at the Alabama Institute for Manufacturing Excellence, located on the Tuscaloosa campus.