Most Active Stories
- Montgomery may ban smoking, Sirius-XM settlement
- Governor Bentley Challenges Legislators to Lead on Budget Crisis
- Alabama GOP Chief: "No Third term," Airbus is hiring
- Tough State Budget Choices, and an Eating detector for the holidays?
- High School Graduation rate improves, Montgomery "no smoking" ban
Arts & Life
Thu May 15, 2014
Pump Up Those Tires! "Bike to Work Day" is this Friday
This week is National Bike to Work week and Friday is National Bike to Work DAY. It’s recognized by the League of American Bicyclists as a way to encourage people to ditch the car to get to and from work. Tuscaloosa's Druid City Bicycle Club is organizing a breakfast for club members. New members will get a reduced rate. They’re also gathering on the way home from work at Black Warrior Brewery downtown. Druid City cyclist Sam Rombokas says sometimes it’s just about getting out and doing it.
Sam Rombokas: “Some people have a greater fear than others, obviously. I was very tentative at first, but I normally average about 5,000 miles a year. It’s healthy to ride. It’s environmentally friendly. It lessens congestion on the roads. So, there’s so many positive things.”
The city of Huntsville is also getting in on the fun with its 5th annual Mayoral Bike ride on Saturday. Bikers are encouraged to wear helmets and obey traffic laws.