Most Active Stories
- Equality in Alabama? Same-Sex Marriage Reactions
- Alabama Universities Receive Accreditation Warning
- Same-Sex Marriage couples having trouble getting marriage licenses, Veteran honored in Sylacauga
- Alabama's Reaction to U.S. Supreme Court's ruling on Same Sex Marriage, Child Care sickness suits
- Tama the Stationmaster Cat
Arts & Life
Thu May 15, 2014
Pump Up Those Tires! "Bike to Work Day" is this Friday
This week is National Bike to Work week and Friday is National Bike to Work DAY. It’s recognized by the League of American Bicyclists as a way to encourage people to ditch the car to get to and from work. Tuscaloosa's Druid City Bicycle Club is organizing a breakfast for club members. New members will get a reduced rate. They’re also gathering on the way home from work at Black Warrior Brewery downtown. Druid City cyclist Sam Rombokas says sometimes it’s just about getting out and doing it.
Sam Rombokas: “Some people have a greater fear than others, obviously. I was very tentative at first, but I normally average about 5,000 miles a year. It’s healthy to ride. It’s environmentally friendly. It lessens congestion on the roads. So, there’s so many positive things.”
The city of Huntsville is also getting in on the fun with its 5th annual Mayoral Bike ride on Saturday. Bikers are encouraged to wear helmets and obey traffic laws.