Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Mon July 19, 2004
Psychiatrist Will Serve in Iraq
By Alabama Public Radio
Decatur, AL – A north Alabama psychiatrist says he's going to Iraq. The Army has called John Wicks out of retirement. He's 68 years old. The military needs Wicks to fill a shortage of mental health experts to help soldiers deal with combat stress. Wicks says he could be overseas as long as a year. The Army has not told him exactly what his assignment in Iraq will be. Wicks also doesn't know where he'll be based once inside the country. Wicks will serve at the rank of colonel. His previous military experience includes two years of active duty with the Marines and 18 years in the Alabama National Guard.