Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Thu March 4, 2004
Proposal Targets Dueling Provision
By Alabama Public Radio
Montgomery, AL – A House committee started an effort Wednesday to update a small portion of Alabama's constitution. The current document was ratified in 1901 and says the Legislature is required to "regulate and suppress dueling." The House Constitution and Elections Committee approved a bill that would remove that language. Representative Jeff McLaughlin says he introduced the bill simply to draw attention to the need to change Alabama's constitution. The bill now goes to the full House.