Most Active Stories
- London Mayor Boris Johnson Settles U.S. Tax Bill Ahead Of Visit
- Gay marriage update, homeless census and National Drug Facts Week
- National School Choice rally, surplus auction and Huntsville desegregation
- Same sex marriage ban still in place, Tuscaloosa celebrates Deontay Wilder
- Girl Scout Cookies, Obamacare, Hospital Shutdown
Arts & Life
Fri May 23, 2014
Principal Photography Begins on "Selma"
The companies behind the movie "Selma" say principal photography has begun and the movie is being shot in Atlanta and in Selma and Montgomery in Alabama.
"Selma" is the story of Martin Luther King Jr.'s voting rights struggle that culminated with the march from Selma to Montgomery and enactment of the 1965 Voting Rights Act.
The chairman and CEO of Paramount Pictures, Brad Grey, says the story will resonate with those involved in the voting rights struggle with King and with those who continue to fight against discrimination in voting.
The filmmakers behind the project include Brad Pitt and Oprah Winfrey. The film stars David Oyelowo from "The Butler" as King and Carmen Ejogo from "Alex Cross" as his wife, Coretta Scott King.