Most Active Stories
- London Mayor Boris Johnson Settles U.S. Tax Bill Ahead Of Visit
- National School Choice rally, surplus auction and Huntsville desegregation
- Same sex marriage ban still in place, Tuscaloosa celebrates Deontay Wilder
- Girl Scout Cookies, Obamacare, Hospital Shutdown
- Alabama Chief Justice Roy Moore Speaks Out on Same Sex Marriage Ruling
Politics & Government
Thu June 27, 2013
Prattville Police Selling Weapons for Equipment
Prattville police will sell confiscated guns to raise money so they can buy uniforms and equipment.
Police Capt. Diane Hamm said the weapons will be sold to a law enforcement supply company in Montgomery. The weapons have been turned in or seized by police since 1994.
Hamm told The Montgomery Advertiser (http://on.mgmadv.com/1aQ1eDw ) that the cheaper guns will be cut up and sold for scrap metal. The remaining weapons are worth about $25,000. They include a World War I-era British rifle, a World War II-era German pistol and modern handguns.
Police Chief Mark Thompson said the sale proceeds will be used to buy new uniforms and equipment.
He said those looking to seeking to buy the weapons from the dealer will have to pass federal background checks.
Information from: Montgomery Advertiser, http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com