Most Active Stories
- Equality in Alabama? Same-Sex Marriage Reactions
- Alabama Universities Receive Accreditation Warning
- Alabama's Reaction to U.S. Supreme Court's ruling on Same Sex Marriage, Child Care sickness suits
- Same-Sex Marriage couples having trouble getting marriage licenses, Veteran honored in Sylacauga
- Tama the Stationmaster Cat
Politics & Government
Thu June 27, 2013
Prattville Police Selling Weapons for Equipment
Prattville police will sell confiscated guns to raise money so they can buy uniforms and equipment.
Police Capt. Diane Hamm said the weapons will be sold to a law enforcement supply company in Montgomery. The weapons have been turned in or seized by police since 1994.
Hamm told The Montgomery Advertiser (http://on.mgmadv.com/1aQ1eDw ) that the cheaper guns will be cut up and sold for scrap metal. The remaining weapons are worth about $25,000. They include a World War I-era British rifle, a World War II-era German pistol and modern handguns.
Police Chief Mark Thompson said the sale proceeds will be used to buy new uniforms and equipment.
He said those looking to seeking to buy the weapons from the dealer will have to pass federal background checks.
Information from: Montgomery Advertiser, http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com