Most Active Stories
- Montgomery may ban smoking, Sirius-XM settlement
- Governor Bentley Challenges Legislators to Lead on Budget Crisis
- Blastoff for NASA's Orion Capsule! Muscle Shoals and the Rolling Stones
- Alabama GOP Chief: "No Third term," Airbus is hiring
- High School Graduation rate improves, Montgomery "no smoking" ban
Thu January 15, 2004
Prattville Officer Dies In Training Accident
By Alabama Public Radio
Prattville, AL – Police officers in Prattville are mourning the loss of one of their own.
Officer Clinton Earl Walker, who was accidentally shot during a training exercise, died in a Montgomery hospital last night.
The shooting occurred yesterday morning at around 10:30 at the old Wetumpka post office. The building is used by law enforcement agencies to conduct weapons training. Wetumpka Police Chief William Pertree would not identify the officer who fired the fatal shot.
Prattville Police Chief Alfred Wadsworth says an internal investigation is underway. He would not comment on whether the unnamed officer will face disciplinary action.
Walker is the first Prattville policeman to die in the line of duty. Funeral arrangements are incomplete.