Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Garrard sentencing begins, Affordable Care Act anniversary and colorectal cancer awareness month
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Tue January 14, 2014
Pope To Sell Harley To Benefit Homeless
RENEE MONTAGNE, HOST:
And our last word in business today is: Pope on a Hog.
STEVE INSKEEP, HOST:
Of course it is.
MONTAGNE: Stop. There have been many famous owners of Harley Davidson over the years - Elvis Presley, Arnold Schwarzenegger, the Hells Angels, - but Pope Francis might be the holiest roller yet.
INSKEEP: Almost by definition. He's the proud owner - the pope is - of a Harley Davidson Dyna Super Glide, which was given to him as a gift.
But His Holiness will auction the hog to help raise money for a soup kitchen and a hostel for the homeless in Rome.
MONTAGNE: The motorcycle is signed Francisco on its tank and is worth as much as $20,000 at auction. Pope Francis already owns a decidedly less pimped-out Ford Focus.
INSKEEP: And that's the business news on MORNING EDITION from NPR News, the one program that manages to get the phrase pimped out into a story that is about the pope.
I'm Steve Inskeep.
MONTAGNE: And I'm Renee Montagne.
(SOUNDBITE OF SONG, "BORN TO BE WILD")
STEPPENWOLF: (Singing) Born to be wild. Born to be wild. Transcript provided by NPR, Copyright NPR.