Most Active Stories
- Siegelman Denied New Trial, Mental Health Budget Concerns
- Layoffs for Alabama Workers, Solar Sail Set to Launch
- Granade Issues Same-Sex Ruling, Busy Travel Weekend Expected
- Biden comments on civil rights and Selma, Bloody Sunday anniversary, Montgomery music premiere
- Historian Says Don't 'Sanitize' How Our Government Created Ghettos
New Budget Chairman
Wed July 17, 2013
Poole Named Ala. House Education Budget Chairman
Republican state Rep. Bill Poole of Tuscaloosa has been named chairman of the powerful House Ways and Means Education Committee.
Poole was appointed to the position Wednesday by Republican House Speaker Mike Hubbard of Auburn. Effective Aug. 1, he will replace Republican Rep. Jay Love of Montgomery, who last week announced he is resigning his position in the Legislature.
The Ways and Means Education Committee is charged with putting together the state's almost $6 billion education budget. The budget provides funding for K-12 schools, community colleges, public universities and other education-related agencies.
Hubbard says he filled the vacancy quickly to make sure there is no lapse in leadership or oversight over education.
Poole was elected to the House in 2010. He is a general practice attorney in Tuscaloosa.