Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
New Budget Chairman
Wed July 17, 2013
Poole Named Ala. House Education Budget Chairman
Republican state Rep. Bill Poole of Tuscaloosa has been named chairman of the powerful House Ways and Means Education Committee.
Poole was appointed to the position Wednesday by Republican House Speaker Mike Hubbard of Auburn. Effective Aug. 1, he will replace Republican Rep. Jay Love of Montgomery, who last week announced he is resigning his position in the Legislature.
The Ways and Means Education Committee is charged with putting together the state's almost $6 billion education budget. The budget provides funding for K-12 schools, community colleges, public universities and other education-related agencies.
Hubbard says he filled the vacancy quickly to make sure there is no lapse in leadership or oversight over education.
Poole was elected to the House in 2010. He is a general practice attorney in Tuscaloosa.