Most Active Stories
- Montgomery may ban smoking, Sirius-XM settlement
- Governor Bentley Challenges Legislators to Lead on Budget Crisis
- Blastoff for NASA's Orion Capsule! Muscle Shoals and the Rolling Stones
- Alabama GOP Chief: "No Third term," Airbus is hiring
- High School Graduation rate improves, Montgomery "no smoking" ban
Arts & Life
Mon September 17, 2012
Pilot, Student Killed in Crash at Ala Airport
A longtime Madison County pilot and a student have been identified as the victims in a crash that killed two people when an airplane went down at an airport during an event for aviation enthusiasts.
WAAY-TV (http://bit.ly/PztYmV ) reports that George Myers and 17-year-old Chris Schmitt died when a plane went down Sunday at the annual Moontown Fly-In in Madison County.
Myers owned the Moontown Airport at Brownsboro, and the teenager was learning to fly.
Witnesses say a vintage Russian airplane was flying in formation with other aircraft when it went down.
Federal investigators will determine the cause of the crash.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.