Most Active Stories
- Saudi Airstrikes Raise Doubts Abroad, Spark Patriotic Fervor At Home
- "Spice" patients increasing, Test confirms marijuana brownies, Battle of Selma re-enactment
- Why Don't Ants Need A Leader?
- Bentley on state budget, Alabama Nature Conservancy and new round of BP recovery funding
- APR Civil War Coverage Nominated for 2 National Murrow Awards
Tue August 12, 2014
PGA Golf Tour Coming to Opelika Next Year
Alabama Gov. Robert Bentley says the PGA Tour is coming to Alabama next year.
Bentley said Monday the new tournament will be played July 13-18, 2015 at the Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail at Grand National in Opelika. Shaving product company Barbasol will sponsor the tournament for four years.
Bentley says the tour will generate millions in tourism revenue and put Alabama in the international spotlight as some of the world's best golfers visit the state.
The Barbasol Championship will become part of the PGA Tour's FedEx Cup competition. The new tournament will be played the same days as the British Open.
Grand National is one of 11 facilities of the Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail throughout Alabama.
The Alabama Tourism Department is providing $200,000 to help host the event.