Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Naked Student Shot
Mon December 3, 2012
Parents Of Ala. Freshman Suing Over Campus Killing
The parents of a University of South Alabama freshman who was shot to death by campus police are suing over his death.
An attorney for relatives of Gil Collar says the 18-year-old freshman never touched the officer, and the shooting never should have happened.
Attorney Jere Beasley says the family is filing suit against the school and the officer. The university had no immediate comment.
Police and witnesses say Collar was nude and acting erratically outside the campus police station before he was shot to death on Oct. 6.
Authorities say the former wrestler from Wetumpka was on drugs and acting in a threatening manner. But lawyers for his parents say the shooting by officer Trevis Austin wasn't justified.
A surveillance video captured footage of the confrontation.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.
Slain USA Student