Most Active Stories
- Montgomery may ban smoking, Sirius-XM settlement
- Governor Bentley Challenges Legislators to Lead on Budget Crisis
- Alabama GOP Chief: "No Third term," Airbus is hiring
- High School Graduation rate improves, Montgomery "no smoking" ban
- Tough State Budget Choices, and an Eating detector for the holidays?
Naked Student Shot
Mon December 3, 2012
Parents Of Ala. Freshman Suing Over Campus Killing
The parents of a University of South Alabama freshman who was shot to death by campus police are suing over his death.
An attorney for relatives of Gil Collar says the 18-year-old freshman never touched the officer, and the shooting never should have happened.
Attorney Jere Beasley says the family is filing suit against the school and the officer. The university had no immediate comment.
Police and witnesses say Collar was nude and acting erratically outside the campus police station before he was shot to death on Oct. 6.
Authorities say the former wrestler from Wetumpka was on drugs and acting in a threatening manner. But lawyers for his parents say the shooting by officer Trevis Austin wasn't justified.
A surveillance video captured footage of the confrontation.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.
Slain USA Student