Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Alabama Common Core standards
Thu March 21, 2013
Panel Defeats Bill to Stop Ala. Common Core Goals
Alabama's common core standards for public schools have survived another challenge.
It appears a bill to abolish the standards is unlikely to pass the Legislature. The Common Core standards for learning in math and English were recommended by the National Governors Association.
Bills were introduced in the House and Senate to prevent adoption of the standards. The Senate bill has been indefinitely postponed. A subcommittee of the House Education Policy Committee voted Wednesday to kill the bill.
Subcommittee chairman Lesley Vance says the bill will be sent back to the full committee with a negative recommendation. He says the bill could be resubmitted but added it's not likely to pass. Schools Superintendent Tommy Bice says fears that the standards would lead to a federal takeover of public schools are unfounded.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.