Most Active Stories
- London Mayor Boris Johnson Settles U.S. Tax Bill Ahead Of Visit
- Tuscaloosa Boxer Deontay Wilder wins Heavyweight title
- National School Choice rally, surplus auction and Huntsville desegregation
- Girl Scout Cookies, Obamacare, Hospital Shutdown
- Same sex marriage ban still in place, Tuscaloosa celebrates Deontay Wilder
Mon June 18, 2012
From Our Readers: The Buckeye Is Only The Beginning
Originally published on Tue June 19, 2012 5:40 am
Jim Flechtner's satirical letter to The Courier (Findlay, Ohio), pointed out irreconcilable differences between the Holy Bible and the "bisexual" Buckeye and called for grassroots campaign to remove the "shameful" state mascot.
Without reading too much into the author's original intent, the letter does connote a bit of Jonathan Swift's Modest Proposal in 1729 and the rich history of subsequent modest proposals since.
"Cher Cox" was inspired by Flechtner to sound an alarm of her own:
"Jim Flechtner's buckeye anxiety mirrors the same way I feel about Florida's state bird, the Lawn Flamingo. They were nearly extinct thirty years ago, but careless and wanton overbreeding has this non-indigineous species invading formerly sedate neighborhoods, and not just trailer parks, either. They're the silent property value killer, and they want your yard."
Drone Future jumped right onboard:
"DEATH TO THE LAWN FLAMINGO!"