Most Active Stories
- Montgomery may ban smoking, Sirius-XM settlement
- Governor Bentley Challenges Legislators to Lead on Budget Crisis
- Alabama GOP Chief: "No Third term," Airbus is hiring
- Tough State Budget Choices, and an Eating detector for the holidays?
- High School Graduation rate improves, Montgomery "no smoking" ban
Mon June 30, 2014
Only 3 Alabama Abortion Clinics Remain Open
Three of Alabama's five abortion clinics remain open after complying with a new state law that sets stricter building requirements.
The law was passed by the Legislature last year and it goes into effect Tuesday.
The Alabama Department of Public Health says clinics in Tuscaloosa, Montgomery and Mobile have worked to comply with the law's requirements for wider halls and doors and improved fire safety measures. A clinic in Huntsville closed Friday because it couldn't meet the requirements. But it is planning to move to a new location and get a new license.
A clinic in Birmingham has been closed since January because of other problems, but Planned Parenthood Southeast is working to reopen the clinic.