Most Active Stories
- Equality in Alabama? Same-Sex Marriage Reactions
- Alabama Universities Receive Accreditation Warning
- Same-Sex Marriage couples having trouble getting marriage licenses, Veteran honored in Sylacauga
- Alabama's Reaction to U.S. Supreme Court's ruling on Same Sex Marriage, Child Care sickness suits
- Alabama Governor Robert Bentley releases statement on gay marriage ruling
Mon June 30, 2014
Only 3 Alabama Abortion Clinics Remain Open
Three of Alabama's five abortion clinics remain open after complying with a new state law that sets stricter building requirements.
The law was passed by the Legislature last year and it goes into effect Tuesday.
The Alabama Department of Public Health says clinics in Tuscaloosa, Montgomery and Mobile have worked to comply with the law's requirements for wider halls and doors and improved fire safety measures. A clinic in Huntsville closed Friday because it couldn't meet the requirements. But it is planning to move to a new location and get a new license.
A clinic in Birmingham has been closed since January because of other problems, but Planned Parenthood Southeast is working to reopen the clinic.