Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Garrard sentencing begins, Affordable Care Act anniversary and colorectal cancer awareness month
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
Mon June 30, 2014
Only 3 Alabama Abortion Clinics Remain Open
Three of Alabama's five abortion clinics remain open after complying with a new state law that sets stricter building requirements.
The law was passed by the Legislature last year and it goes into effect Tuesday.
The Alabama Department of Public Health says clinics in Tuscaloosa, Montgomery and Mobile have worked to comply with the law's requirements for wider halls and doors and improved fire safety measures. A clinic in Huntsville closed Friday because it couldn't meet the requirements. But it is planning to move to a new location and get a new license.
A clinic in Birmingham has been closed since January because of other problems, but Planned Parenthood Southeast is working to reopen the clinic.