Most Active Stories
- Montgomery may ban smoking, Sirius-XM settlement
- Governor Bentley Challenges Legislators to Lead on Budget Crisis
- Blastoff for NASA's Orion Capsule! Muscle Shoals and the Rolling Stones
- Alabama GOP Chief: "No Third term," Airbus is hiring
- High School Graduation rate improves, Montgomery "no smoking" ban
Thu April 19, 2012
Obama Honors Crimson Tide For BCS Championship
Washington, D.C. – President Barack Obama is honoring the University of Alabama football team for winning the BCS championship in January.
It was the Crimson Tide's 14th championship. Alabama entered the game ranked second and beat top-ranked Louisiana State University 21-0.
Obama says it was a ``fun season to watch'' but also a ``deeply meaningful season'' for the Crimson Tide.
Obama praised the team for their efforts in the Alabama community, noting the importance of athletes helping rebuild Tuscaloosa, Ala., after devastating tornadoes touched down in April 2011.
Obama received an Alabama jersey and helmet. Obama says, ``I'm probably going to need a helmet between now and November.''
(Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)