Most Active Stories
- Montgomery may ban smoking, Sirius-XM settlement
- Governor Bentley Challenges Legislators to Lead on Budget Crisis
- Alabama GOP Chief: "No Third term," Airbus is hiring
- High School Graduation rate improves, Montgomery "no smoking" ban
- Tough State Budget Choices, and an Eating detector for the holidays?
Sat August 31, 2013
NWS Forecasting Moderate Risk of Rip Currents
Forecasters say there's a moderate risk of dangerous rip currents along the Gulf Coast during the Labor Day weekend.
Thousands of people are heading to the beach for the holiday, but the National Weather Service says rip currents are likely in the surf.
Forecasters say weak swimmers shouldn't get any deeper than their knees through the weekend.
Several drownings have been blamed this year on rip currents, which are difficult to detect and can quickly pull swimmers into keep water.