Most Active Stories
- Equality in Alabama? Same-Sex Marriage Reactions
- Alabama Universities Receive Accreditation Warning
- Same-Sex Marriage couples having trouble getting marriage licenses, Veteran honored in Sylacauga
- Alabama's Reaction to U.S. Supreme Court's ruling on Same Sex Marriage, Child Care sickness suits
- Tama the Stationmaster Cat
Farley Nuclear Plant
Wed January 22, 2014
NRC Inspecting Farley Nuclear In Southeast Ala.
Federal regulators are conducting a special inspection at Farley Nuclear Plant in southeast Alabama following an electrical failure earlier this month.
The Nuclear Regulatory Commission says a two-member team will assess the plant, which is located at Columbia along the Chattahoochee River.
The NRC says the failure occurred during testing on electrical circuits on the plant's Unit 2 reactor.
The circuits that failed would start cooling equipment during an accident at the plant, but regulators say backup systems were available.
The NRC says the problem didn't present an immediate safety threat. But operators shut down the reactor and began troubleshooting once workers discovered the problem.
Southern Nuclear Co. tells The Dothan Eagle it is cooperating with the inspection.
Farley is one of three nuclear plants operated by Southern Nuclear.