Most Active Stories
- Auto workers petition to block UAW, 2015 red snapper season and Cycling League state championship
- Restraining order against Lear Corp, First Lady at Tuskegee and Tallapoosa County tax vote
- Gambling bill hearing, potential mental health cuts and Alzheimer's research
- Red Snapper Season, Alabama High School Cycling League
- Where Poor Kids Grow Up Makes A Huge Difference
Tue June 24, 2014
North Ala. Clinic That Provides Abortions To Close
The only abortion clinic in north Alabama is expected to close by the end of the week.
Officials at the Alabama Women's Center said Tuesday that they'd rather close voluntarily than be faced with a state intervention.
The clinic was faced with a July 1 deadline to bring its facility up to code with a surgical treatment center.
Alabama Women's Center administrators submitted blue prints for a new location to the state Department of Public Health, but the department's Deputy General Counsel Brian Hale says the facility's blueprints haven't been approved yet. Hale says state officials are waiting to hear from the clinic's architect about plans for the facility's interior.
Clinic administrator Dalton Johnson says administrators will try reopening at the new facility after receiving clearance from the state.