Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Garrard sentencing begins, Affordable Care Act anniversary and colorectal cancer awareness month
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
Tue June 24, 2014
North Ala. Clinic That Provides Abortions To Close
The only abortion clinic in north Alabama is expected to close by the end of the week.
Officials at the Alabama Women's Center said Tuesday that they'd rather close voluntarily than be faced with a state intervention.
The clinic was faced with a July 1 deadline to bring its facility up to code with a surgical treatment center.
Alabama Women's Center administrators submitted blue prints for a new location to the state Department of Public Health, but the department's Deputy General Counsel Brian Hale says the facility's blueprints haven't been approved yet. Hale says state officials are waiting to hear from the clinic's architect about plans for the facility's interior.
Clinic administrator Dalton Johnson says administrators will try reopening at the new facility after receiving clearance from the state.