Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Mon November 29, 2004
New Addition Coming to Living History Park
By Alabama Public Radio
Montevallo, AL – A replica of America's first presidential residence will be built at the living history park in Montevallo. The American Village and Southern Living magazine are teaming up on the addition. Village Director Tom Walker says the new house will be a replica of the red brick Philadelphia mansion where George Washington lived while serving as the country's first president. Walker says the house could be completed by January 2006. It will be built behind the Colonial Chapel. The Village is supported by public and private funding sources and has an annual budget of more than $3 million. It marks its fifth birthday Tuesday. A birthday bash featuring a five-layer cake and walking tours starts at 12:30 p.m. on the Village Green.