Most Active Stories
- Auto workers petition to block UAW, 2015 red snapper season and Cycling League state championship
- Gambling bill hearing, potential mental health cuts and Alzheimer's research
- Restraining order against Lear Corp, First Lady at Tuskegee and Tallapoosa County tax vote
- Red Snapper Season, Alabama High School Cycling League
- Where Poor Kids Grow Up Makes A Huge Difference
NCAA Division II Festival
Fri March 8, 2013
NCAA DII Athletes in Winter Competition in Ala
Birmingham is the gathering spot for more than 1,100 collegiate athletes competing in a nationwide winter sports event.
The NCAA Division II Festival is being held through Saturday at Birmingham's Crossplex.
The 750,000-square-foot indoor venue includes facilities for swimming, diving, track and other sports.
The festival will decide national titles in men's and women's swimming and diving, men's and women's indoor track and wrestling.
The NCAA says the festival is the only place where collegiate champions will crowned in five different sports in a single event.
The Winter Festival was moved to Alabama last summer because of problems with hotel availability at the planned site in Cleveland. It's being hosted by the city and the Gulf South Conference.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.