Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Tue June 1, 2004
Nation Loses Last Civil War Widow
By Alabama Public Radio
Enterprise, AL – The nation's last Civil War widow died Monday in Enterprise. Alberta Martin was 97. She was a widowed, 21-year-old mother by the time she was 21. That's when she met William Jasper Martin. He was an 81 year old Confederate veteran. They were married in December 1927, and had a son before her husband passed away in 1931. Alberta married her late husband's grandson, Charlie Martin, a couple of months later. They remained married until his death in 1983. Martin lived most of her life in obscurity, but she spent her final years in the favor of Civil War buffs and historians.