Most Active Stories
- Siegelman Denied New Trial, Mental Health Budget Concerns
- Layoffs for Alabama Workers, Solar Sail Set to Launch
- Granade Issues Same-Sex Ruling, Busy Travel Weekend Expected
- Biden comments on civil rights and Selma, Bloody Sunday anniversary, Montgomery music premiere
- Historian Says Don't 'Sanitize' How Our Government Created Ghettos
Museum of Alabama
Fri July 4, 2014
Museum Adds Alabama History Detail To Tours
Alabama's state museum plans to launch a series of themed tours intended to give visitors a sharper focus on particular aspects of the state's history and culture.
The first program will begins July 12 and focuses on "Small Town Alabama." New themes will be featured on the second Saturday of every month through December.
July's theme is "Stitched in Time," looking at what Alabamians have worn, sewn and quilted throughout the state's history. August will focus on Alabama celebrations, from Mardi Gras in Mobile to the Auburn-Alabama football game.
Children's exhibits will be the focus in October. The series will conclude with "Alabama and World War I" in November and a closer look at Alabama's Civil War Soliders and life in the state during the bitter conflict.