Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Mon November 22, 2004
More Smokers in Alabama
By Alabama Public Radio
Undated – A recent report from the United Health Foundation suggests more Alabamians are smoking. The report shows the number of smokers in the state increased about one percent to one quarter of the state's population. That's 39th in the nation. But that's still an improvement from 1990, when 30-point-six percent of Alabamians were smokers. Nationwide, smoking went down to 22 percent during the past year. Alabama receives more than 100 million dollars a year from a national tobacco settlement. In return, it has agreed not to sue tobacco manufacturers in exchange for part of their profits.