Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Special Electric Rates
Mon July 30, 2012
More Than 2,300 Firms Get Special Electric Rates
More than 2,300 Alabama businesses are getting savings from special electric rates that the state's utility regulatory board approved last year to encourage an economic recovery. The Public Service Commission worked with Alabama Power last summer to institute the rates to encourage economic growth. So far, the savings total nearly $850,000. Most of the participations are businesses that qualified to save $25 per month by using small business rates. Forty-six are businesses that are getting discounts for opening a new location in a building that had been vacant for at least six months. And eight new or expanding large industries qualified for a discount because they are creating new jobs. Commissioner Terry Dunn said participation is growing, and he would like to see the temporary discounts extended Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.