Most Active Stories
- Siegelman Denied New Trial, Mental Health Budget Concerns
- Layoffs for Alabama Workers, Solar Sail Set to Launch
- Granade Issues Same-Sex Ruling, Busy Travel Weekend Expected
- Biden comments on civil rights and Selma, Bloody Sunday anniversary, Montgomery music premiere
- Historian Says Don't 'Sanitize' How Our Government Created Ghettos
VA Health Care-Alabama
Mon June 9, 2014
Montgomery VA Among Longest Waits For New Patients
Veterans Administration statistics show medical facilities in Montgomery and Tuskegee have some of the nation's longest waits for new patients.
The numbers show VA centers in central Alabama have an average wait time for new patients of 75 days. That's seventh-worst nationally.
Delays are shorter elsewhere in Alabama. The average wait in Tuscaloosa is 47 days, and the Birmingham VA has an average wait of 31 days for new patients.
The central Alabama region also is among the nation's worst for first-time mental patients with an average wait of 57 days. Birmingham has an average wait of 30 days for mental care, and Tuscaloosa 19.
The Gulf Coast including Mobile has a wait of 49 days for primary care and 37 days for mental health.