Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Garrard sentencing begins, Affordable Care Act anniversary and colorectal cancer awareness month
Wed October 2, 2013
Montgomery Public Schools Chief To Step Down
The Montgomery school board has voted to accept a mutual separation agreement with former Superintendent Barbara Thompson.
The 5-2 vote came during a special meeting Wednesday afternoon and the board voted to appoint the district's professional development director, Margaret Allen, to serve as interim superintendent.
Thompson will receive benefits included in her contract, including a year's salary of $155,000 and $10,000 for relocation expenses.
Thompson was hired in 2009 and was at the helm of the district while the state schools superintendent's office investigated allegations of improper grade changes in the system.
Some have said they're hopeful a transition in leadership will be a positive change for the district. Others have said they feel problems within the district lie with the board as a whole, not just the superintendent.
Montgomery Schools-Altered Grades
Business & Education
Altered Student Grades