Most Active Stories
- Equality in Alabama? Same-Sex Marriage Reactions
- Alabama Universities Receive Accreditation Warning
- Same-Sex Marriage couples having trouble getting marriage licenses, Veteran honored in Sylacauga
- Alabama's Reaction to U.S. Supreme Court's ruling on Same Sex Marriage, Child Care sickness suits
- Tama the Stationmaster Cat
Wed October 2, 2013
Montgomery Public Schools Chief To Step Down
The Montgomery school board has voted to accept a mutual separation agreement with former Superintendent Barbara Thompson.
The 5-2 vote came during a special meeting Wednesday afternoon and the board voted to appoint the district's professional development director, Margaret Allen, to serve as interim superintendent.
Thompson will receive benefits included in her contract, including a year's salary of $155,000 and $10,000 for relocation expenses.
Thompson was hired in 2009 and was at the helm of the district while the state schools superintendent's office investigated allegations of improper grade changes in the system.
Some have said they're hopeful a transition in leadership will be a positive change for the district. Others have said they feel problems within the district lie with the board as a whole, not just the superintendent.
Montgomery Schools-Altered Grades
Business & Education
Altered Student Grades