Most Active Stories
- London Mayor Boris Johnson Settles U.S. Tax Bill Ahead Of Visit
- National School Choice rally, surplus auction and Huntsville desegregation
- Same sex marriage ban still in place, Tuscaloosa celebrates Deontay Wilder
- Girl Scout Cookies, Obamacare, Hospital Shutdown
- Alabama Chief Justice Roy Moore Speaks Out on Same Sex Marriage Ruling
Rosa Parks' 100th
Sun February 3, 2013
Montgomery Observes Rosa Parks' 100th Birthday
Montgomery is observing the 100th anniversary of the birth of civil rights icon Rosa Parks with a public art project downtown.
A 96-foot by 40-foot wall is covered in chalkboard paint and has space for people to complete the sentence "Before I die I want to..."
Montgomery's director of development, Chad Emerson, told the Montgomery Advertiser that citizens came up with the idea and volunteers did the work.
Monday is the 100th anniversary of Parks' birth. The Rosa Parks Museum at Troy University Montgomery plans a program Monday night with art, poetry and the unveiling of the new Parks commemorative stamp by the U.S. Postal Service.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.