Most Active Stories
- Gambling bill hearing, potential mental health cuts and Alzheimer's research
- Restraining order against Lear Corp, First Lady at Tuskegee and Tallapoosa County tax vote
- Layoffs for Alabama Workers, Solar Sail Set to Launch
- Lang Lang In Concert At The Met Museum
- Historian Says Don't 'Sanitize' How Our Government Created Ghettos
Rosa Parks' 100th
Sun February 3, 2013
Montgomery Observes Rosa Parks' 100th Birthday
Montgomery is observing the 100th anniversary of the birth of civil rights icon Rosa Parks with a public art project downtown.
A 96-foot by 40-foot wall is covered in chalkboard paint and has space for people to complete the sentence "Before I die I want to..."
Montgomery's director of development, Chad Emerson, told the Montgomery Advertiser that citizens came up with the idea and volunteers did the work.
Monday is the 100th anniversary of Parks' birth. The Rosa Parks Museum at Troy University Montgomery plans a program Monday night with art, poetry and the unveiling of the new Parks commemorative stamp by the U.S. Postal Service.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.