Most Active Stories
- Equality in Alabama? Same-Sex Marriage Reactions
- Alabama Universities Receive Accreditation Warning
- Alabama's Reaction to U.S. Supreme Court's ruling on Same Sex Marriage, Child Care sickness suits
- Same-Sex Marriage couples having trouble getting marriage licenses, Veteran honored in Sylacauga
- Tama the Stationmaster Cat
Mon April 15, 2013
Montgomery May Move Planetarium Downtown
Montgomery Mayor Todd Strange says officials are considering moving the city's planetarium downtown to join a growing number of attractions.
The planetarium has been in Oak Park since 1968, and its equipment is outdated. The mayor said officials are considering having it join the City-County Public Library and the Children's Museum of Alabama in the $22 million Questplex building. The building is at the opposite end of Dexter Avenue from the state Capitol.
The city of Montgomery has already set aside $500,000 of the $800,000 needed to update to a 360-degree digital projector that would surround audience with a high-definition image and open up new programming options.
Strange told the Montgomery Advertiser (http://on.mgmadv.com/11ctVox ) that Troy University, which manages the planetarium, has agreed to help with upgrades.
Information from: Montgomery Advertiser, http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com