Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Mon April 15, 2013
Montgomery May Move Planetarium Downtown
Montgomery Mayor Todd Strange says officials are considering moving the city's planetarium downtown to join a growing number of attractions.
The planetarium has been in Oak Park since 1968, and its equipment is outdated. The mayor said officials are considering having it join the City-County Public Library and the Children's Museum of Alabama in the $22 million Questplex building. The building is at the opposite end of Dexter Avenue from the state Capitol.
The city of Montgomery has already set aside $500,000 of the $800,000 needed to update to a 360-degree digital projector that would surround audience with a high-definition image and open up new programming options.
Strange told the Montgomery Advertiser (http://on.mgmadv.com/11ctVox ) that Troy University, which manages the planetarium, has agreed to help with upgrades.
Information from: Montgomery Advertiser, http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com