Most Active Stories
- Montgomery may ban smoking, Sirius-XM settlement
- Governor Bentley Challenges Legislators to Lead on Budget Crisis
- Alabama GOP Chief: "No Third term," Airbus is hiring
- High School Graduation rate improves, Montgomery "no smoking" ban
- Tough State Budget Choices, and an Eating detector for the holidays?
Arts & Life
Sat June 15, 2013
Montgomery to Dedicate Park to Wright Brothers
Montgomery officials hope the heroics of American aviation pioneers Orville and Wilbur Wright will help boost the city's image.
The famous brothers spent less than a year in Montgomery in 1910 running the nation's first civilian flight school.
The Wright brothers weren't in Montgomery long, but they left a lasting legacy in Alabama's capital city. Julie Hedgepeth Williams, author of a book about the brothers' time there, said Maxwell Air Force Base can trace its beginnings to the Wrights' Montgomery stint.
City officials plan to dedicate a park next month to memorialize the Wright brothers.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.