Alabama
3:42 pm
Tue April 6, 2004

Mobile Area Homes Evacuated

Mobile, AL – Firefighters evacuated about 30 homes and closed a city park in south Mobile Monday afternoon. A tank containing about one-thousand gallons of hydrogen peroxide solution was found spewing potentially dangerous vapors. Local authorities say the problem was discovered just before two P-M when a technician checked on the tank. They say a vapor cloud could have formed in the area if the tank ruptured. The vapor can irritate eyes and mucus membranes. District Chief Douglas Cooper says peroxide vapors also can ignite fires when they touch organic material. No injuries were reported, but the evacuation order remained in effect overnight to allow the tank to vent. A Georgia company owns the tank, but the Mobile Area Water and Sewer System leases it for water purification.