Most Active Stories
- Montgomery may ban smoking, Sirius-XM settlement
- Governor Bentley Challenges Legislators to Lead on Budget Crisis
- Alabama GOP Chief: "No Third term," Airbus is hiring
- High School Graduation rate improves, Montgomery "no smoking" ban
- Tough State Budget Choices, and an Eating detector for the holidays?
Wed April 10, 2013
Minor League Team Opens New Birmingham Ballpark
Birmingham's minor league baseball team is returning to the city after an absence of two decades.
The Birmingham Barons play their first game Wednesday night at the new, 8,500-seat Regions Field in downtown Birmingham.
The team is moving back to the city after playing its home games at a city-owned stadium in metropolitan Hoover for 20 years.
Birmingham Mayor William Bell will throw out the first pitch, and city promoters are hoping the $64 million stadium will add to a revitalization of the inner city.
The game against the Mississippi Braves is a sellout.