Most Active Stories
- Equality in Alabama? Same-Sex Marriage Reactions
- Alabama Universities Receive Accreditation Warning
- Same-Sex Marriage couples having trouble getting marriage licenses, Veteran honored in Sylacauga
- Alabama's Reaction to U.S. Supreme Court's ruling on Same Sex Marriage, Child Care sickness suits
- Tama the Stationmaster Cat
Wed April 30, 2014
Minimum Wage Raise: Blocked For Now, May Live Again In Campaigns
Originally published on Wed April 30, 2014 10:20 pm
Senate Republicans blocked a vote Wednesday on a bill to raise the nation's minimum wage. But don't expect that to be the end of the story.
For more than a year now, Democrats, including President Obama, have been pushing to boost the minimum wage. Their latest target is $10.10 an hour.
GOP critics argue that would depress hiring in an already weak job market.
But raising the wage is popular with voters, and Democrats plan to make the issue a rallying cry between now and the November elections.