Most Active Stories
- Auto workers petition to block UAW, 2015 red snapper season and Cycling League state championship
- Restraining order against Lear Corp, First Lady at Tuskegee and Tallapoosa County tax vote
- Gambling bill hearing, potential mental health cuts and Alzheimer's research
- Red Snapper Season, Alabama High School Cycling League
- Where Poor Kids Grow Up Makes A Huge Difference
Wed April 30, 2014
Minimum Wage Raise: Blocked For Now, May Live Again In Campaigns
Originally published on Wed April 30, 2014 10:20 pm
Senate Republicans blocked a vote Wednesday on a bill to raise the nation's minimum wage. But don't expect that to be the end of the story.
For more than a year now, Democrats, including President Obama, have been pushing to boost the minimum wage. Their latest target is $10.10 an hour.
GOP critics argue that would depress hiring in an already weak job market.
But raising the wage is popular with voters, and Democrats plan to make the issue a rallying cry between now and the November elections.