Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Wed September 22, 2004
Memorial for Coal Miners Stolen
By Alabama Public Radio
Brookwood, AL – A homemade memorial for 13 coal miners who were killed in an explosion at a Brookwood mine has been stolen. The memorial was located outside West Brookwood Church and was reported missing Saturday around noon. It showed a golden shovel lying on top of a golden pick on wood and was one of four identical memorials made by two Tuscaloosa-area men. The memorials honored the miners who were killed at Jim Walter Resources Blue Creek Number Five Mine on September 23rd of 2001. The Tuscaloosa County Sheriff's Office is investigating the theft...and deputies have stepped up patrols this week. A service is also scheduled for this week to honor the miners.