Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Sun March 3, 2013
Meetings Planned On Birmingham School Closures
The Birmingham school board is planning a series of community meetings before it votes on a plan to close seven city schools.
The meetings have been scheduled for Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. A state takeover of the school district's finances has resulted in a plan to save $8 million by shedding 133 jobs and closing seven schools.
Eleven other schools would be reconfigured, and a proposal for two schools to teach grades seven through 12 has already proven controversial with some school board members.
The plan is part of the takeover team's effort to find up to $20 million in savings to build up the school system's reserve account. The school board plans to vote on the school closures and consolidations March 12.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.