Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Wed October 15, 2003
Mayor Kincaid in Runoff
By Alabama Public Radio
Birmingham, AL – Birmingham Mayor Bernard Kincaid did not avoid a runoff in yesterday's mayoral election. He won the most votes with 32 percent, but he will face City Councilwoman Carole Smitherman next month. Smitherman won 23 percent of the ballots. Polls showed Kincaid as the strongest candidate in the field of 18 contenders, but the large number made it unlikely anyone would win more than 50 percent of the vote. Kincaid and Smitherman will hold a runoff election November fourth.